Note from GuitarAttack: There are some great techniques in this
write-up. Our favorite was Jim's choice to install adjustment screws
on the pickguard. This allows adjustment of the front pickup much like
the new Fender guitars. The Sagas make it tough to adjust that pickup,
and we think it is a great point.
The holes in the back of the neck where not deep enough, and when I attached the body, the screws lifted the neck. I drilled the holes a little deeper by turning the chuck on my hand drill by hand to avoid having the bit grab and go through the fret board. Everything else seemed fine so I cut the headstock with a handsaw and used varying grades of sand paper and sanding blocks to smooth it out.
I shot a few coats of automotive clear lacquer on the
neck and allowed that to dry while I worked on the body. I used light
gray automotive primer on the back and sides and white automotive primer on
the front. I used Tangelo Pearl for the color coats and topped it off
with four coats of clear. I was a little leery at how it would turn
out using spray cans and all, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Great job, Jim -- great write-up -- Keep up the great work!