From GuitarAttack: -- Very cool silkscreen!  Killer!

I purchased one of the LP style Saga’s at Christmas to put together. The overall quality of the guitar was good. I did a little work on the neck socket to balance out the neck, but other than that everything fit fine.

Though the pickups and accessories were of okay quality, I decided to upgrade the entire lot. I installed all cream and gold accoutrements and upgraded the electronics by swapping out the harness with better shielded wire, put in a pair of Mighty Mite Motherbuckers and tied it all together with Gibson pots that I acquired years ago. I also shielded the electronics and pick-up area with copper foil and added ivory tuners.

I really got a kick out of finishing the guitar. I used custom tinted Ultra7000 acrylic automotive lacquer for the base and final coats, which I applied with a spray-gun. All-in-all, I put on 20+ coats of Royal Gold, Burgundy and then followed it up with 10 coats of clear.

For the playing card design, I scanned a Royal Flush from a deck of cards at 600 DPI. I then printed out a number of layouts on overhead transparency film to verify positioning. Once I had a layout I liked I took my scanned artwork and did a color separation in Adobe Photoshop. I then took the separations to a local Tee-shirt shop and had them make me a series of silk-screens, which I later mounted into frames.

To apply the silk-screened image of the playing cards perfectly aligned on the guitar I had to build a little rig on hinges. This aloud me to align the silk-screen registry marks up and “print” the full color image of the cards on the guitar body. I used water based acrylic paints for my “ink”. Once dry, I applied an additional 10 coats of clear.

The guitar was buffed out with a low abrasive rubbing compound and then polished
with a wax base furniture polish.

I am pleased with the outcome. I have had several offers for the guitar since completing it. It feels solid. The action is great and the sound is amazing.

In hind-sight, it would have been cheaper for me to purchase a mid-range Epiphone LP and simply stripped it down, add the Motherbuckers and painted it. The Saga was a heck of a lot of fun though to put together.

-Sean Bumstead



Back to Top


Builder's Gallery Repair Techniques Our Original Music Guitar Forum
The "Saga Sagas" Links

Play Guitar

Opinion Page
  Guitar Collection

Listen on Reverbnation

Interesting Guitars


Contact GUITARATTACK GuitarAttack Store KGS Store   HOME