BUILDING AN SAGA LP-STYLE


Note from GuitarAttack:  This is a great story and a really killer top...great work!

From Hans Sprengers


I got a SAGA Les Paul-kit for my 21st birthday this year, and it was my first guitar kit ever, so I Googled a LOT on the internet and was pleased to find guitarattack.com. You guys helped me out a lot while building my guitar.


The first thing I found out, was that the body and neck of the guitar were sealed. Normally, that would be awesome because it'll save you a lot of trouble painting the guitar. Unfortunately for me, I wanted to "taint" the top, so I had to sand off the sealer (I didn't remove the sealer from the sides, back and neck because that would be stupid IMO). A word of advise for anyone who wants to remove the sealer like I did: be VERY careful not to sand of too much, otherwise you would be sanding through the veneer, and you just don't want that.

The second thing I did was cutting the headstock. I like the original Gibson headstocks so I kinda stole the idea from them, with a touch of myself, of course.

Next: tinting the guitar. I was very insecure about this part considering I had no idea what I was doing. I bought some water-based paint from my local hobby store: black and red. My idea was simple: put on a layer of black, sand it, and then a layer of red. My first mistake was that I didn't blend the paint with water, so after the first black layer my guitar had gotten pitch black which caused me to sand off more than I was supposed to. This is the part where I sanded through the veneer, but when I put on the red layer, I'd forgotten almost everything about it, 'cause it was lookin' SWEET!

Now I've gotten to the part of spraying the transparent laquer onto the body and neck. Heck, I don't know anything about spraying paint, but lucky for me, my dad DOES and he was so kind to spray on the laquer for me.

I applied two layers of Motip Clear Varnish, and two layers of Spray Max 2 components laquer (was pretty expensive, 30 per can).

After a lot of drying and hardening, it was time to put it all together. Installing the pickups, pickup switcher and potentiometers is child's play when you have the manual (thanks to SAGA).


I'm very happy with the result, it sounds awesome and it plays like heaven. I'm DEFINITELY going to build more guitars in the future.


Hope you like the result too!


Hans Sprengers
=
Thanks!
   
Thanks, Hans -- That is a great looking guitar!

 


Back to Top

 ATTACK HOME "SAGA SAGAS" MAIN

BUILD REPAIR PLAY DISCUSS
Builder's Gallery Repair Techniques Our Original Music Guitar Forum
The "Saga Sagas" Links

Play Guitar

Opinion Page
  Guitar Collection

Listen on Reverbnation

Interesting Guitars

 

Contact GUITARATTACK GuitarAttack Store KGS Store   HOME