Note from GuitarAttack:  Nice logo and cool finish.  Great work!

From David Taylor

Your Saga guitar builds were inspiring. I was in the process of deciding where to order my Saga LC (Les Paul clone) when my brother-in-law said he picked one up at a salvage store for a couple of bucks. He told me I could have it if I wanted it, all he was going to do is put it in a yard sale. Well duh! Of course I took it.

I put it together and test fit and played it. The nut was so high it was almost unplayable. I adjusted the truss rod, filed the nut, and it was good to go.

(Note:  This is part of the goodness of Saga guitars -- learning to set up your own instrument. Ed.)

After playing it for a few days, I was ready to take it apart and put a finish on it. This is when I realized that if you have to hammer the ferrules into the body, you better be prepared to paint around them (rats!)

I sanded the body lightly to smooth the sealer and then started painting. I laid down a coat of blue to start. Using Duplicolor Metalcast gave me the translucent look I was shooting for. It is designed to paint on chrome so I tried it on a lot of wood scraps and it gave me the look I was aiming for. I then used a fine Scotchbrite pad to scuff it and even the color out.

Then I cut a cardboard template (and using pushpins for spacers) painted the sides and back in black. After painting the headstock and neck, I started spraying 3 cans of Deft Clear Lacquer on everything.

And then it was sand (800), sand (1000), and sand (1500). Now polish with Turtle Wax polishing compound and Swirl-X.

I added new wiring, pots, Gotoh locking tuners, and Dunlop Strap locks and it was ready to play. I like it! . And that what counts.

David Taylor

Great work on the finish!

Back to Top


Builder's Gallery Repair Techniques Our Original Music Guitar Forum
The "Saga Sagas" Links

Play Guitar

Opinion Page
  Guitar Collection

Listen on Reverbnation

Interesting Guitars


Contact GUITARATTACK GuitarAttack Store KGS Store   HOME