GuitarAttack: We really like the color of this LP build.
Paintscratch.com is a good resource for paint.
Hey, my name is Colin. Thought I would submit a Les Paul Style Saga Kit that
built over the winter.
This guitar was originally planned to have an orange base with dripping (or
melting) black hardware. This was scraped. The only technique I could think
to spray these intricate designs would involve a fuzzy stencil and, frankly,
was just sick of painting. But now I realize (of course after it's too late)
that hand painting and sanding the black drips would have sufficed. I did
manage to add create a little pinstripe on the transition to the back.
The color coat is an acrylic lacquer Duplicolor black and an orange from a
ordered from paintscratch.com.
One can from paintscratch was just enough to cover the front and sides.
The primer I used was the acrylic sandable white primer from
Duplicolor. I simply ran over the body with 600 grit sandpaper before
spraying the primer (that was it!). I clearcoated with Duplicolor clear
acrylic lacquer. I used approximately four cans. This may have not been
enough, as i dealt with numerous sandthroughs, especially near the
bottom edge and fretboard edge, and my strap rubber has worn through to
The headstock shape is a little incongruent with a Les Paul, but i wanted to
throw in some metal influence.
Everything that came with the kit was used other than the tuners (which were
From what I can tell (I'm running through a practice amp) it sounds pretty
It plays very well after the correct setup was found. The neck warped quite
bit during the painting process, but a truss rod adjustment fixed
also popped the nut out and filed down some material and extra glue to find
right nut height.
Thanks for putting the site